I write about the UK charity sector, sharing examples and thoughts about digital comms and delivery. Charity people don’t have time to look round the charity web so can miss trends and best practice. Keep up here instead! Subscribe to my blog to get updates direct to your inbox.
Here are some of the themes I write about and links to some of the most popular posts.
Managing and sourcing images is a big challenge for charities. Social media posts rely on eye-catching pictures. Web pages need images to bring content to life. But some topics can be hard to illustrate. Internal politics or processes mean you are stuck with no images or dull ones. Start with these posts for some tips and examples:
- Review and improve your use of images
- How to illustrate difficult causes and subjects
- Just say no to giant cheque pictures.
I love great charity content, whether joining in spontaneously with an awareness day or as part of a planned campaign. Knowing your audience, tone of voice and what will be persuasive, is key.
- Great International Women’s Day content.
- 280 characters on Twitter.
- Nonprofit digital advent calendars.
- #Giving Tuesday.
Excellent web content
From digital legacy fundraising to 404 error messages, I also write about some of the tricky content areas.
- 10 tips for great online legacy fundraising.
- Is your SMT / trustees page inspiring?
- Make your errors useful.
- Evolution of the charity web – 25 years on.
- Optimise your donation forms.
Does your organisation have a content strategy? This can be anything from a deeply researched strategy to an agreement about your organisation’s approach.
A strategy can help you decide whether to embrace different techniques such as:
- How to share lived experience or #rocur on Twitter
- Tell your stories
- Use digital to bring your impact to life
- 5 digital comms tips for hospices.
I also share monthly round-up posts of good reads, great content and other useful things.
- Round-up – August 18 – #GBBO, Scope’s new campaign, ethical marketing, voice search.
- Round-up – May 18 – CAST’s new resources, mental health at work and charity comms for the Royal Wedding.
- Round-up – April 18 – London Marathon, impact, International Carrot Day.
- Digital round-up – Mar 18 – bumper crop including tech trends and good password management.
- Digital round-up – Jan / Feb 18 – crisis comms lessons, #TimeToTalk day.
- Digital round-up – Nov 17 – videos, a News Flush and human comms examples.
- Digital round-up – May 17 – audience driven content and how @nhs celebrated their first six months.
- Charity content round-up – Feb 17 – Pancake Day, live tweeting through an operation, World Book Day.
- January’s charity content highlights – 17 – innovation in social media and relaunched websites.
For more posts, click on one of the categories, tags or do a search.
Please do add your email address or WordPress details to the box and click Follow to get future posts to your inbox.
Do get in touch if I can help your organisation.